2020 Warren Jones International Youth Regatta
The 2020 Warren Jones International Youth Regatta will be taking place from Monday, 27 January to Friday 31 January, sailed in Perth Waters for the fourth time and this year, to be hosted by the Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club.
In 2019, the Warren Jones International Youth Regatta saw a surge of interest in competing in the event with 29 expressions of interest received, with representatives from 7 nations. It was an extremely tough playing field which saw the regatta’s first ever European champions finishing on top of the podium; Jelmer van Beek and his Team Dutch Wave representing the Netherlands from Vereniging Watersport De Twee Provinciën. Luckily for van Beek, this was his last chance to compete in the under-25 event before he would age out and become ineligible to defend his title. Van Beek beat local sailor Will Boulden and his Alpha Racing Team from Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club 3-0 in the final, leaving Boulden as the bridesmaid for two years running.
In 2020, the event will celebrate its’ 18th Birthday and will see an even more expansive and elite line up of competitors battle it out in the arena of Perth Waters, right outside the Central Business District and Elizabeth Quay. The Regatta will once again feature as the headliner of the City of Perth Festival of Sail where a range of other local and community events will be held.
Interest to compete in the event in 2020 reached new heights with 30 Expressions of Interest received representing 10 different nationalities. 10 of 12 invitations to compete in the event were distributed today with the acceptance date no later than 29 November 2019.
Congratulations to the following competitors for receiving invitations to compete in the 2020 Warren Jones International Youth Regatta;
- Will Boulden from Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club
Representing Western Australia – currently ranked 33rd
- Ethan Prieto-Low from Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club
Representing Western Australia – currently ranked 104th
- Harry Price from the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia
Representing New South Wales – currently ranked 4th
- Tom Grimes from the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia
Representing New South Wales – currently ranked 13th
- Nick Egnot-Johnson from the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron
Representing New Zealand – currently ranked 3rd
- Matt Whitfield from Penarth Yacht Club
Representing Great Britain – currently ranked 22nd
- Aurélien Pierroz from Société des régates du Havre
Representing France – currently ranked 24th
- Rocco Attilli from Centro Velico 3v
Representing Italy – currently ranked 30th
- Emil Kjaer from the Royal Danish Yacht Club
Representing Denmark – currently ranked 39th
- Johanna Bergqvist from Gothenburg Royal Yacht Club
Representing Sweden – currently ranked 40th
View the full list of Expressions of Interest HERE
View the full list of Invitation Recipients HERE
Of the twelve entry positions available, ten have been decided with the remaining two positions left to be decided by two Local Qualifying Events from;
- Conor Nicholas from South of Perth Yacht Club – currently ranked 239th
- Marcello Torre from Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club – currently ranked 263rd
- Murray Buchan from Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club – currently ranked 697th
- Annabelle Davies from Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club – currently unranked
- Lachy Gilham from Fremantle Sailing Club or South of Perth Yacht Club – currently unranked
- Kaiella Taylor from Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club – currently unranked
- Alistair Young from Fremantle Sailing Club or Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club – currently unranked
The great interest in competing in the Warren Jones International Youth Regatta in 2019 saw the resurgence of Royal Perth Yacht Club’s Colin Mullins Youth Regatta as a local qualifying event in addition to a qualifying position being allocated to Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club’s JESS Match Cup. This will again be the case in 2020.
QUALIFYING EVENT #1
17 – 19 January 2020, Sailed in Bakewell White 8s
QUALIFYING EVENT #2
24 January 2020, sailed in Foundation 36s
Event Organisers are thrilled with the momentum that the Warren Jones International Youth Regatta continues to gain with the eighteenth edition of the event shaping up to be one of the most exciting yet. Additional details will be provided in the lead up to the 2020 event including announcements of additional elements of the 2020 City of Perth Festival of Sail.